Superb vintage pearl-finish 10 x 8 photograph of Edison, Ford, Herbert Hoover, and other dignitaries at the 1929 dedication of Ford’s Greenfield Village complex, signed in fountain pen, “Thos. A. Edison,” “Henry Ford,” and “Mrs. Henry Ford,” and dated December 4, 1930, in the lower border. Mild toning and soiling, a few trivial dings, and slightly irregular ink adhesion to signatures, which nonetheless remain clear and distinct. Ford founded the Edison Institute (also known as Greenfield Village) in Detroit in 1929, with the aim of collecting American history ‘as written into things their hands made and used.’ The centerpiece was the Menlo Park laboratory of Thomas Edison. The entire complex—including the laboratory proper, all of the outbuildings, and dirt that it stood on—was transported and rebuilt. This singular tribute to Edison’s genius was dedicated on October 21, 1929, in a ceremony broadcast over nationwide radio. Edison, in the presence of such dignitaries as President Herbert Hoover, ‘recreated’ the original light bulb in his newly relocated laboratory. Pre-certified John Reznikoff/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.
RR Auction Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Signed Photo