A steel rivet head, measuring 1.5″ in diameter, taken from the Harland and Wolff shipyard by a worker after the construction of the Titanic, stamped on the top, “S S Titanic 1912.” Head originates from a lead burner who was employed by Harland and Wolff during the time the Titanic was being built. It was routine for yard workers to take an extra rivet for a newly-built ship as a souvenir of their hard work. This particular head was kept private for years, as the original owner felt a deep sense of shame and grief over the tragedy. In fine condition, with some expected light pitting. Over three million rivets were used in the construction of the Titanic, and these smallest pieces are at the forefront of theories as to the sinking of the ship, with many concluding some of the rivets popped after the collision with the iceberg, allowing the hull plates to separate and the water to rush in quickly. RR Auction COA.