A steel divot, measuring 1.5 inch in diameter, taken from the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland, by a worker after the sinking of the Titanic. Stamped on the top “S S Titanic 1912.” This divot, actually scrap metal, is a steel plug pressed out of a hull plate hydraulically for a rivet being inserted into the hole at later stage. After the sinking, shipyard workers gathered the few remaining divots, inscribed them and sold them off as commemorative items to local and non-local tourists. In fine condition, with some expected light pitting. Over three million rivets were used in the construction of the Titanic. Divots like the one offered here are an intriguing remnant from the ship’s building. This is a very rare opportunity to acquire and own an actual piece of Titanic’s hull. Accompanied by a letter of provenance from the Harland and Wolff worker’s descendant. RR Auction COA.
Titanic Divot owned by a Harland and Wolff lead burner